Times Square is the center of the action in New York City. One can’t help but be mesmerized driving past the flashing neon lights and gigantic advertisements that line the sides of immense skyscrapers. If this is your first time visiting Times Square make sure to drive your New York rental car to 1560 7th Avenue, the location of the Times Square Information Center. Located in the beautifully-restored Embassy Movie Theatre, the Information Station offers free brochures and information on citywide attraction and includes maps of the Times Square Alliance. When you park your New York rental car and go inside you’ll be able to purchase tickets at the Information Center for Off and On Broadway shows, book bus tours, purchase souvenirs, access the internet and enjoy a special Panasonic video exhibition on the Square.
Parking your New York Rental Car in Times Square
Times Square offers a variety of parking garages located throughout the Times Square area. These lots are a safe and affordable place to park your New York rental car but please note that not all of them are open 24 hours. A full listing of parking garages can be found at www.timesswuarebid.org/parking.html.
Times Square Facts
- There are more than 251 restaurants ranging from fast food to elegant dining in the Times Square Alliance
- The Times Square Alliance stretches from West 40th Street to West 53rd Street, just West of Sixth Avenue, stretching to both sides of 8th Avenue all the way to 9th Avenue and West 46th Street.
- There are 399 property owners in Times Square (not including residents)
- There are 21 million square feet of office space currently in use or available with 2.4 million more in the construction process!
- One-fifth of all of New York’s hotel rooms are found in Times Square – over 12,500 total!
- There are 40 theaters in Times Square including the 22 landmark Broadway Theatres
- There are approximately 231,000 employees who work in the Times Square district
- Over 27,000 residents live in the greater Times Square area
- There are over 1,500 business and organizations these include:
- BMG Entertainment
- The New York Times
Time Square has come to be synonymous with partying for one main reason New Years Eve! Every year millions of people tune in to watch the ball drop over Times Square, while thousands upon thousands flock to New York to partake in the actual event. So don’t even think about getting your New York rental car through Times Square on December 31 or January 1! The first official ball drop took place in 1907 and ever since then it has become a universal symbol for the New Year.
Other events that take place in Times Square include the “Taste of Times Square”, “Broadway on Broadway” and a broad area of fabulous outdoor concerts. The year 2004 marked the 100 anniversary of the Times Square Alliance, resulting in a full year of celebration that included:
- Special promotional galas
- Summer concert celebrations
- Special exhibitions, and lectures on Times Square history
- The development of a new design vision for the landscape of Times Square
- Artist, photographers and writers interpretations of the history and impact of Times Square
For more information on upcoming events in Times Square please visit the official website at www.timessquarebid.org. This site includes directories of all the businesses, restaurants and tours available in Times Square along with in depth looks into the history of the New York tourist attraction!