New York City is the home of many fine museums, many of which are located in the Manhattan area. If you enjoy learning about ancient history, viewing breathtaking art or learning about different cultures, a Manhattan museum is the place to be. A short drive in your New York car rental is all that separates you and your travel mates from children’s museums and even sports memorabilia! Read on for a short synopsis of some great New York museums and for the names of many popular Manhattan locations!
The Upper West Side
If your New York car rental travels happen to take you to the Upper West Side of Manhattan be sure to check out some of the following museums!
- American Museum of Natural History
- From dinosaurs to space travel, the American Museum of Natural History is teaming with great family-oriented exhibits that are both fun and informative! The museum is open daily from 10 AM to 5:45 PM and offers great programs like Storytime for Tots, Space Shows and special events at the Rose Center. The American Museum of Natural History is located at Central Park West at 79th Street, so be sure to stop by in your New York car rental!
- Other Upper West Side museums include:
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan
- American Folk Art Museum
- China Institute
Upper East Side
The Upper East Side is full of great cultural attractions including multiple museums covering a wide variety of topics!
The Guggenheim Museum is by far one of the most famous museums in the entire world! With locations in Venice, Las Vegas, Berlin and Bilbao, the Guggenheim Museum is a must-see for any tourist driving through the Upper East Side in a New York car rental, so be sure to stop by and check out the exhibits. Upcoming exhibitions include The Hugo Boss Prize 2004: Rirkrit Tiravanija, The Eye of the Storm: Works in situ by Daniel Buren and Art of Tomorrow: Hilla Rebay and Solomon R. Guggenheim. The Guggenheim is located at 1071 Fifth Avenue (at 89th Street).
Other Upper East Side museums include:
- Asia Society & Museum
- El Museo Del Barrio
- The Jewish Museum
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
Midtown Manhattan is known for its hopping nightlife but be sure to visit the heart of Manhattan in your New York car rental during the day! Midtown Manhattan is home to some great museums, perfect for spending an afternoon of soulful reflection and relaxation!
The Museum of Television and Radio
If you love kicking back and watching your favorite TV show you’ll love this interactive museum dedicated to the couch potato in all of us! The Museum of Television and Radio showcases great historical exhibitions documenting the rise of radio and television broadcast. The Museum of Television and Radio is located at 25 West 52nd Street, so set down that TV remote, jump in your New York car rental and get ready for an informative afternoon in Midtown Manhattan!
Other Midtown Museums include:
- The Museum of Sex
- Japan Society
- FDNY Fire Zone
- Foundation for Hellenic Culture
If you’re looking to make your Manhattan vacation and educational experience make sure to check out some of the museums in Greenwich Village! Many of the museums in the village are dedicated to different ethnicities, making them a great educational experience!
Museums in Greenwich Village include:
- Yeshiva University Museum
- Ukrainian Museum
- Center for Jewish History
- Museum of Chinese American
The Lower Manhattan area is a great place to visit in your New York car rental if you’re visiting New Manhattan for your first time! Here you’ll find museums dedicated to the South Street Seaport, the Statue of Liberty and New York immigration!
Other museums in Lower Manhattan include:
- The National Sport Museum
- New York City Police Museum