The Statue of Liberty is known worldwide as a universal symbol of political freedom and democracy. So if you're feeling a little bogged down by the chaos in the world today, why not book yourself a New York car rental and visit Lady Liberty? The Statue of Liberty is bound to leave you awestruck and with a sense of peace. It's well worth the drive in your New York rental car, so hop in!
The Statue of Liberty is a monumental work of art open from 8:30am until 5:00pm, everyday of the year except for December 25th. But for those of you who think that visiting the Statue of Liberty is constituted by looking at a big piece of stone have it all wrong! Visitors will get to take part in a special insider's view of the impressive engineering designs that makes Lady Liberty so marvelous. Visitors are able to actually view inside the Statue through a large glass ceiling which is enhanced by a high powered lighting system. Guided tours are provided by trained, informative park rangers who are there to answer your questions and provide you with informative information.
Statue of Liberty History Facts:
- Was built by French sculptor Auguste Bartholdi
- Workers worked 10 hours a day, for seven days a week, for nine years to complete it!
- It was finished in 1884
- It was shipped to the United States in 350 individual pieces and had to be packed in 214 crates!
- Liberty Island was originally called Bedloe Island
- Auguste Bartholdi, (the sculptor) thought that New York Harbor was the perfect place to put the Statue because it was "where people got their first view of the New World"
Statue Architectural Facts:
- Visitors must climb 354 stairs to reach the Statue of Liberty's crown (or take an elevator to a lower lookout point)
- There are 25 windows in the crown which rests on Lady Liberty's head
- There are seven spikes on the crown - these represent either the seven continents or the seven oceans
- The statue is made of copper which has discolored to a greeny hue due to a chemical reaction called oxidation due to the evaporation of the seawater around it
- Lady Liberty weighs 450,000 pounds!
So during your next New York Vacation be sure to pack a cooler in your New York car rentals trunk with a picnic lunch, because the Statue of Liberty is definitely worth a full day of exploration!